Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 21:29:06 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        travis@renaissoft.com (Travis Campbell)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet cards: 3c509B or NE2000 clone

>I'm currently looking for an ethernet card for use on a 2.1-R system;  a local
>computer consultant suggested that I get a 3com 3c509B Combo [about $100 from
>him] or an NE2000 clone [about $30].  Before I commit to buying one of the
>cards from him, I'd like to get recommendations from the FreeBSD community on
>which I should buy.

Neither is the definition of "power", but both will work.

>How stable are the drivers for these two cards in 2.1R?

Mostly stable.  I've heard of problems having packets get dropped on
busy networks.

If you want the best you can get, I've heard most people recommend the
SMC EtherPower boards, based on the DEC chipset are about as good as
you'll do on a PC.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.