Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 09:11:30 -0700
From:      "Russell Hanneken" <rhanneken@pobox.com>
To:        <simond@irrelevant.org>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: squirrelmail-1.2.6

Hi,

Yesterday I installed PHP 4.2.1 and SquirrelMail 1.2.6.  I had a problem
with SquirrelMail; I got an error message every time I tried to log in.

It was choking on line 99 of display_messages.php (in the functions
subdirectory):

    include_once($DOCUMENT_ROOT . $base_uri . 'functions/page_header.php' );

It seemed like $DOCUMENT_ROOT evaluated to nothing, which meant the script
couldn't find page_header.php.

A message to one of the SquirrelMail mailing lists gave me the idea to
change a line in the php.ini file.  I changed

    register_globals = Off

    register_globals = On

Now everything works fine.  I think a change that was made in PHP 4.2.0 may
be the cause:

    The biggest change in PHP 4.2.0 concerns variable handling. External
    variables (from the environment, the HTTP request, cookies or the web
    server) are no longer registered in the global scope by default. The
    preferred method of accessing these external variables is by using the
    new Superglobal arrays, introduced in PHP 4.1.0.

http://www.php.net/release_4_2_0.php

Just FYI.  If I've "solved" a problem that's already been addressed in the
port documentation somewhere, just disregard this message.  :-)

Regards,

Russell Hanneken
rhanneken@pobox.com