Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:50:28 GMT
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/105616: UART PCI device just silent...

The following reply was made to PR i386/105616; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To: Helge Oldach <puc-uart@oldach.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:47:06 -0800

 On Nov 28, 2006, at 1:38 PM, Helge Oldach wrote:

 > Hi Marcel,
 >
 >>> It seems that setting clock rate on this board does not work
 >>> properly, but instead some default non-standard value remains set
 >>> forever...
 >> Interesting. The uart(4) driver in -STABLE writes the baudrate in a
 >> single 16-bit wide operation. The uart(4) driver in -CURRENT
 >> doesn't do
 >> that. Could you try the attached patch?
 >
 > Works, problem fixed. I now can talk uart(4) just identical to sio(4).
 > Ah, finally no silo overflows any more!

 Excellent. Good news. Thanks for testing.

 > BTW, I applies to most 8250/16550 based PCI board, so it should
 > probably
 > be fixed before 6.2-STABLE, IMHO.

 I agree. I will work on that right away.

 > BTW2, still the SUN1889 is recognized as 16550, not 16650. This has
 > probably no impact since it only means we do not utilize the full FIFO
 > depth of the 16650, but still...

 The type is determined based on the FIFO size. Apparently, the FIFO size
 is 16 bytes and not 32 bytes. I don't know why this is. Maybe we need to
 set a special bit to "enable" the full FIFO size. However, this would
 not be compatible with 16650 UARTs. It remains a mystery...

 Thanks again for getting this problem resolved!

 --
 Marcel Moolenaar
 xcllnt@mac.com