Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:15:16 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>, Daniel Lee Greer <greer@jabba.greerhome.louisville.ky.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More Colors in X

On Sunday, 19 July 1998 at 22:30:16 -0700, Kevin G. Eliuk wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Daniel Lee Greer wrote:
>
> => Hello, I have just recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 and am running X so
> => that I can use Netscape.  I am having a problem getting X to run in more
> => than just the standard 256 colors.  I have looked thruout the mailing
> => list archives, and it seems that the number one answer that everyone
> => seems to give is that you should invoke startx -- -bpp 16 (Or whatever)
> => to get that many bit planes.  I have also seen to edit the .xinitrc or
> => the .Xresources, or the XF86Config file.  I have tried all of these
> => unsucsessfully.  Now, it may be that netscape just wont work in more
> => than 256 colors but I find that hard to believe.  To give you a bit of
> => info, I am using a S3Virge 2 MEG video card running X in 1024X768 trying
> => to run it in 16BIT, as that is max with 2 MEGS of video RAM, I have set
> => my X program to execute /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3V I have tried with just
> => the XF86_S3 but I am unable to start the server.  I really would love to
> => figure this out, but I guess I am really missing something pretty
> => simple.  If there is someone out there that may be able to help me with
> => this issue, I would be very much indebted to them.  Oh, another thig, to
> => mention, I am running the mwm window manager.
>
> I don't use one myself although the docs for XFree are always quite
> helpful.  It appears that you don't call 16bpp only 8, 15, 24, 32 when
> using the XF86_SVGA server.

No, that's not generally correct.  Here's an output from another machine:

name of display:    unix:0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
vendor release number:    3320
maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
motion buffer size:  256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    2
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32

Theoretically you could be correct for this particular board, but in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.S3V I see:

  The XF86_SVGA ViRGE driver supports all current flavors of the S3
  ViRGE chipset.  It uses the XAA acceleration architecture for
  acceleration, and allows color depths of 8, 15, 16, 24 and 32
  bpp. It has been tested on several 2MB and 4MB ViRGE cards, a 4MB
  ViRGE/DX card and a ViRGE/VX card. Resolutions of up to 1600x1200
  have been achieved. This is an early release of this driver, and not
  everything may work as expected. Please report any problems to
  XFree86@Xfree86.org using the appropriate bug report sheet.

Greg