Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:25:33 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@outgoing.verizon.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   PPP, dynamic IPs, and handling renumbering

I have a new question.  I have ppp set up on interface tun0, got my IP
and all, handling the DSL connection quite nicely - so far.

Now the question:  Since the IP is dynamic, I have some things that
need doing anytime it changes, like update the Apache config and
restart it, update the zoneedit dns records so I still get my mail,
etc.  Where do I handle this? Is there an exit hook I can specify for
ppp to call when it gets a new IP?

I can't even find the dhcp lease or the network broadcast info.  When
I was with AT&T, it was basic DHCP and it all went into
/var/db/dhclient.leases.  The only place I can get the IP from now is
ifconfig tun0

So is there an exit hook mechanism for ppp?

If not, I'm very interested in knowing what other people are doing out
there to handle this issue.

Thanks a lot.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

I used to work in a fire hydrant factory.  You couldn't park anywhere near
the place.
    -- Steven Wright