Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:50:03 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        fbsd@globalmegahost.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I swap tape drives (sa0) without rebooting?

fbsd@globalmegahost.com wrote:

>Hello list.
>
>I have a freebsd 6.1-RC1 machine that I am using to test bacula and
>various tape drives.  If the machine boots up while the tape drive is
>attached and powered up, the tape drive is recognized.  If I turn off the
>tape drive and attach a different drive, I cannot seem to convince the OS
>that a tape drive is present.  What am I doing wrong?

All I can say is that under 5.4 (and many versions before) the following
works for me.  I don't have 6-anything as yet.

3 {root @ cartman} #  /sbin/camcontrol rescan 0
Re-scan of bus 0 was successful
3 {root @ cartman} # /sbin/camcontrol devlist
<COMBO GO-B5232D G96A>             at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
<ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X 422I>           at scbus2 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,cd1)

Turn on SCSI tape drive (an HP DAT fwiw).

4 {root @ cartman} # /sbin/camcontrol rescan 0
Re-scan of bus 0 was successful
5 {root @ cartman} # /sbin/camcontrol devlist
<HP C1533A AN04>                   at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass2,sa0)
<COMBO GO-B5232D G96A>             at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
<ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X 422I>           at scbus2 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,cd1)

And message in my console as well.

Then turn it back off

7 {root @ cartman} # /sbin/camcontrol rescan 0
Re-scan of bus 0 was successful
8 {root @ cartman} # /sbin/camcontrol devlist
<COMBO GO-B5232D G96A>             at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
<ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X 422I>           at scbus2 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,cd1)

And message in console about it going away.

You mentioned termination.  The documentation for your tape drive will
tell you if you need it (I though modern stuff was self terminating, but
I don't have any modern stuff to confirm that :-)).  If not, then maybe
you do need a terminator.  Or maybe the tape drive is knackered ;-(

--Alex

PS You should use "all" instead of "0" in the above; I just know where
my tape drive is.  Also, it takes about 10 seconds from power on for the
drive to show up.  A rescan inside 10 secs and nothing shows up.