Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:05:13 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Paul Fraser <pjfraser@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer Configuration

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 08:31:55PM +1000, Paul Fraser wrote:
> This probably isn't the right place to ask this.. but here goes :)
>
> I've installed FreeBSD 4.5 on my PC, and I'm trying to get my printer (HP
> DeskJet 810C connected via /dev/lpt0) working.
>
> I've managed to get the devices installed (after recompiling the kernel,
> etc) and I can do lptest > /dev/lpt0, but when I do this, there is one
> continuous line of text that goes across the first page, then the printer
> prints 4 more blank pages. It then forces me to press Line Feed to eject
> the last page.

What you're seeing here is the common staircase problem. If you want
to print text files, you have to run the input thru' a filter which
adds the Carriage-Return to the end-of-line.

[...]

> One other thing I should mention... When I print from a webpage with
> Konqueror within KDE (Or, any KDE application), it prints what looks like
> the start of a Postscript file, and stairsteps the first few lines, then
> prints out more blank pages.

As you may have surmised, most WebBrowsers (and other free UNIX
applications) print Postscript. You need a Postscript to Deskjet
converter.

There are various ways to accomodate both your requirements, but I'd
suggest the port: ports/print/apsfilter.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>