Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2018 21:26:14 +0000
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: zfs problems after rebuilding system

Hi, thanks for looking at this,

On 02/03/2018 20:39, Alan Somers wrote:
> This doesn't make sense.  vdevs have nothing to do with mounting.  You see
> your vdevs by doing "zpool status".  What are you expecting to see that you
> don't?

sorry, I was confusing terms. I was expecting to see similar to output
of zfs list from both zpools instead of just zpool0.

(just rebooted the system.)

OK here's zpool status:

# zpool status
  pool: zpool1
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h39m with 0 errors on Mon Feb  5 22:55:31 2018
config:

        NAME                    STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zpool1                  ONLINE       0     0     0
          diskid/DISK-NA7DKXXF  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: zpool0
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 3h46m with 0 errors on Thu Mar  1 23:01:29 2018
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zpool0      ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada3    ONLINE       0     0     0

>> Confusingly, I didn't need to and don't have to do any of that for
>> zpool0. What am I doing wrong/what am I missing? Why is zpool0
>> automatically loading but zpool1 is not? Before ada0 (the failed disk)
>> was replaced, both loaded on boot.
>>
> Please post the output of "zfs list -r -o name,mountpoint,canmount,mounted"
> and also the contents of /etc/fstab.

# zfs list -r -o name,mountpoint,canmount,mounted
NAME                 MOUNTPOINT             CANMOUNT  MOUNTED
zpool1               /zpool1                   on       no
zpool1/compressed    /zpool1/compressed        on       no
zpool1/important     /zpool1/important         on       no
zpool0               /zpool0                   on      yes
zpool0/home          /zpool0/home              on      yes
zpool0/usr           /zpool0/usr               on      yes
zpool0/usr/local     /zpool0/usr/local         on      yes
zpool0/usr/oldsrc    /usr/oldsrc               on      yes
zpool0/usr/ports     /usr/ports                on      yes
zpool0/usr/src       /usr/src                  on      yes
zpool0/vms           /zpool0/vms               on      yes

# cat /etc/fstab
# Device        Mountpoint      FStype          Options Dump    Pass#
/dev/ada0s1a    /               ufs             rw      1       1
/dev/ada0s1b    none            swap            sw      0       0
linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc  linprocfs       rw      0       0
tmpfs    /compat/linux/dev/shm  tmpfs   rw,mode=1777    0       0
fdescfs         /dev/fd         fdescfs         rw,late 0       0

> Also, have you set "zfs_enable=YES" in /etc/rc.conf?

yes.

If I run zfs mount -a, everything zfs is mounted as expected. I'm
wondering if at bootup, when zfs mount is called (I suppose it must be
called from somewhere), whether it needs to specify -a. I would not know
the first place to look though.

thanks,
--
J.