Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 12:27:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rpc.lockd / nfs versions

On FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE, rpc.lockd exists, has a man page that suggests it
works, but has a dire warning in /etc/defaults/rc.conf that it doesn't.

Never one to believe dire warnings, I've tried it.  It runs, appears to
try to do things, but fails to work.  The test I've been using is the
procmail file locking test suite, which makes some fairly sensible
attempts to see if a particular locking strategy will work.

I have a suspicion that the client I was testing from (solaris 2.5.1)
is making a decision to insist on doing 'version==4' locking attempts
_because_ it's noticed that it can do 'version==3' nfs accesses.

I've come to this conclusion since snooping the network indicates that
the client keeps doing version==4 requests and ignoring the "can't do
that, I'm prepared to accept versions between 1 and 3" reply, whereas
it's quite happy doing locking against a SunOS4 machine where only rpc
versions 1-3 of the lock manager are available, but only nfs v2 is
being provided.

Is anyone looking at this at the moment?

-patrick.