Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 07:13:47 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Brian Rudy <berudy@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about Connecting using X

Brian Rudy <berudy@earthlink.net> types:
>     My problem is when I try to X Window into the box (using
> Hummingbird's Exceed V. 6.2) I get an error that says it cannot connect
> using that method (REXEC).  I've tried RSH (to no avail).  I can telnet
> and ftp into the box fine just can't X Window into it.
>
>     Can you help me out here and tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Any and
> all help will be greatly appreciated.  If there's anything else you need
> from me, please ask... I may not have the answer with me (I'm at work)
> but I will be able to get it for you.

Rsh not working means that rexec won't work. This are very insecure
protocols, so that's normally a good thing. I'm not familiar with the
Hummingbird product, so all I can do is suggest some things to
try:

    1) create .rhosts in your home directory on the FreeBSD system,
       listing the Hummingbird box as a trusted box. See the rhosts(5)
       man page for details. Also make sure that inetd is running and
       the exec protocol is enabled in /etc/inetd.conf on the Unix box.

    2) Telnet (or better yet, ssh with Putty) into your FreeBSD
       system, and start an xterm with the display set for the
       Hummingbird box. Details will depend on Hummingbird.

    3) Personally, I use vncserver for this kind of thing. It puts an X
       desktop in a window on your Windows box. Or it copies the
       Windows desktop to a window on your X display, if you want to go
       the other way. You can cut and paste between windows on the two
       systems with no problems. Best of all, it's free. Install it from
       the ports tree on FreeBSD, and download a Windows binary from

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.