Date:      Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:24:39 +0100
From:      James Laver <james.laver@gmail.com>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   New project suggestion

Reorganise the directory structure. Simple little thing but makes so much=
=20
difference to new users.

I am prepared to take charge of it if desired.

Details:

Rearrange the filesystem to make more sense and to logically arrange=20
everything

The new filesystem would be as follows

/usr =3D things pertaining to users
/sys =3D contains the kernels (in /sys/boot) and anything ESSENTIAL to runn=
ing=20
the system
/home =3D home directories

/usr now has the following subdirectories

/cfg =3D configuration
/lib =3D libraries
/bin =3D binaries

/sys contains anything pertaining to the kernel or global configuration eg=
=20
/sys/cfg/sudoers.cfg

anyway, sorry for the long mail and it might not seem like a priority, but=
=20
the directory structure is what trips up a load of new users and in order t=
o=20
spread BSD I think we need to change the structure.

The developers behind it would like a new CVS tree for it please as it woul=
d=20
require kernel modification.

Thanks for reading.

--=20
Death is lighter than a flower, duty heavier than a mountain

TCPA WILL TAKE AWAY YOUR COMPUTER RIGHTS :
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml