Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:33:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Earl A. Killian" <earl@killian.com>
Cc:        "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bug in stateful code?

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Earl A. Killian wrote:

> Chris Dillon writes:
>  > Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:20:39 -0600 (CST)
>  > From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
>  >
>  > If you have the luxury of having more than one IP address available
>  > for the outside interface, you can dedicate one address to natd's use,
>  > and the other to the host machine.  Use -deny_incoming on natd, and
>  > use whatever rules you want, including stateful, on the non-NAT
>  > address.  This is what I've done and it works fine.
>
> This sounds promising, but I am confused by the man page on
> -deny_incoming.  Perhaps you could clarify?  It says, "Do not pass
> incoming packets that have no entry in the internal translation
> table."  Which internal translation table do they mean?

The translation table in natd.  The -deny-incoming option is designed
to deny incoming connections to the host, not the internal machines.
By design you can't create an incoming connection to internal machines
without redirect rules in place anyway.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet