Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:47:39 +0000
From:      Pietro Cerutti <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Printing to a Windows

Yes, I think the problem is in CUPS.
The Unix Printing System service on w2k3 is enabled, and the
/etc/printcap is ok (i followed the instructions on the books).

I created a "test" plain text file

> lp test
>
> lpq
Warning: no daemon present
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
3rd    <user>      9    test                                  5 bytes

but the print server doesn't receive any input.

This is my /etc/printcap configuration:
> cat /etc/printcap
lp|HPLaserJ:rm=<host-name>:rp=HPLaserJ:

where <host-name> is replaced with the effective name, which is mapped
into /etc/hosts