Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:40:12 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        pirat sriyotha <pirat@access.inet.co.th>
Cc:        "Norman C. Rice" <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No buffer space available

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 11:33:13AM +0700, pirat sriyotha wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 01:25:35PM +0700, pirat sriyotha wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > occasionally, my small network does not work.  i have to 'shutdown -r now' to
> > > bring it back to work.
> >
> > FreeBSD != Windoze
>
> yes you are quite right and that's why i turn away from 'doz.
>

> > > the only clue is a message from ping which is
> > >
> > > ping: sendto: No buffer space available
> > >
> > > is there anyway to solve this kind of problem instead of shutdown ?
> >
> > ifconfig de0 down up
> >

> now, jan 21 2000 11:18 thailand mean time,  it happends again  and
> ifconfig down and up does not work.  anyway, i can connect to the
> Internet via ppp connection to my isp.

For a long-term solution you should consider raising your NMBCLUSTERS,
that is if it happens that netstat shows they are too few.  At my home
box, the output is:

	% netstat -m
	1/96 mbufs in use:
		1 mbufs allocated to data
	0/8/4096 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
	28 Kbytes allocated to network (0% in use)
	0 requests for memory denied
	0 requests for memory delayed
	0 calls to protocol drain routines

watch the current/peak/max relationship and see if you need to increase
the buffers.  If I'm not mistaken, you can change this without a kernel
recompile, with sysctl, by tweaking your kern.ipc.nmbclusters as in:

	# sysctl -w kern.ipc.nmbclusters=4096

After doing this on a running kernel, see if it still has the same
problem.  If not, you have two options.  Either add the above sysctl
command in your /etc/rc.local and save yourself a kernel recompile, or
recompile your kernel by setting the NMBCLUSTERS option properly.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [Mark Twain]