Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:54:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD mention in LWN interview with A.C.

In article <10481.918927420@zippy.cdrom.com>, Jordan K. Hubbard
<jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:

> If we wanted to use a commercial solution then the choice would be
> more than clear - Perforce!  Our CVS repository meister(s) like it a
> lot ...

Make that "one of our CVS repository meisters ..." I'm not
particularly wild about it myself.  For starters, it could use
something like "cvs -nq upd".  In the project I'm involved with where
Perforce is used, I bet that 20% of the submits (== commits) are
followed immediately by another one saying, "Oops, these files should
have been included in the last submit."  I also miss the ability to do
diffs between two revisions, neither of which is your current working
version.  And something equivalent to "cvs ann" would be nice to have,
too.

The remote depot is nice when network conditions are good.  But when
they're not, you're just SOL.  You might as well go find something
else to work on.

Other people on the project who know Perforce better than I do seem to
like it OK, though.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken