Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2004 01:13:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Julien Gabel" <jpeg@thilelli.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why aren't all files in a Package?

>> Certain core files that come with freebsd don't seem to belong to
>> any package, one of them being zlib.  I was trying to figure out
>> what version of zlib FreeBSD is using, but since it wasn't part of
>> any package, it was a little difficult, I had to edit libz.so and
>> greped for 1.1.4.  Since I found that, I'm assuming that that's the
>> correct version, but I think a simple pkg_info -W should have
>> answered that.

You can looked at the sources:

  $ head -12 /usr/src/lib/libz/ChangeLog

                  ChangeLog file for zlib

  Changes in 1.1.4 (11 March 2002)
  - ZFREE was repeated on same allocation on some error conditions.
    This creates a security problem described in
    http://www.zlib.org/advisory-2002-03-11.txt
  - Returned incorrect error (Z_MEM_ERROR) on some invalid data
  - Avoid accesses before window for invalid distances with inflate
    window less than 32K.
  - force windowBits > 8 to avoid a bug in the encoder for a window size
    of 256 bytes. (A complete fix will be available in 1.1.5).

--
-jg.