Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2019 18:20:17 -0600
From:      Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

On 3/24/19 5:57 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> He's asking for stopping doing a make install in src/stand. I'm
> thinking that's a good thing. We should update the ESP's
> \efi\freebsd\loader.efi, but leave the\efi\boot\bootXXXX.efi alone as
> part of this new installloader phase. Again, only if the ESP is
> mounted, and we have a default spot for it. For this script, I don't
> think hunting for the ESP is the right way to go... which means we
> need to define a standard place for the ESP to be mounted, which we
> should do before we turn on any of these features.
>
> We have the start of a generic script to update things in
> src/tools/boot/install-boot.sh which was supposed to install boot
> blocks on everything known to run FreeBSD.

Only updating \efi\freebsd\loader.efi is the wrong thing to do in my
opinion: there are situations like on ARM where EFI variables aren't
persistent, and we need \efi\boot\bootxxxx.efi for booting. What we
could do is check if QueryVariableInfo returns EFI_UNSUPPORTED, in which
case we know any changes to BootXXXX variables won't survive a reboot,
and we need BOOTxxxx.efi.

Is it safe to assume there's only a single ESP in the system? Is it not
normal for there to be one ESP per disk for mirrored configurations, in
which case each would need to be updated?

Do you envision src/tools/boot/install-boot.sh moving to /usr/sbin, or
remaining where it is? We'd also need to update the ESP for binary
installs using freebsd-update.

--
Rebecca Cran