Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2016 11:44:23 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: swap partition

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 21:05:02 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:30:42 -0500, Stari Karp wrote:
> > On Thu, 2016-12-29 at 16:29 +0000, John Levine wrote:
> > > In article <1483012420.95172.9.camel@yandex.com> you write:

> > > Why?  Most BSD systems hardly use swap space at all.  There's plenty
> > > of paging but that's mostly from the files that back the memory.
> > >
> > > R's,
> > > John
> >
> > I am using Synth and I have 8 GB memory and swap partition was made
> > defaut 3.6 GB and when I built LibreOFFice and Firefox for example
> > together than going swap to 100%
> > (swap_pager: out of swap space
> > kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace(5): failed)
> > and because that I think to increase swap partition.
>
> That's really "impressive"...

	Those are two of the most memory intensive builds in the ports,
advice to OP - don't do them both together.

> I had to open 70+ tabs with "Flash" content running in order
> to get Opera start using swap - on a PC with 2 GB RAM, plus
> 2 GB swap partition. I made a terminal capture for this
> spectacular event:

	You don't have to try anything like so hard with any more modern
browser (I like opera - it's a pity there's so much that doesn't work
properly in it now) I doubt you'd get to 20 tabs with Firefox in 2GB.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>