Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 08:29:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs-all-digest V1 #300

owner-cvs-all-digest@freefall.freebsd.org writes:

> From: John Dyson <dyson>
> Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 21:13:24 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: cvs commit:  src/sys/miscfs/specfs spec_vnops.c src/sys/vm vnode_pager.c
>
> dyson       96/03/18 21:13:24
>
>   Modified:    sys/miscfs/specfs  spec_vnops.c
>                sys/vm    vnode_pager.c
>   Log:
>   Fix the problem that unmounting filesystems that are backed by a VMIO
>   device have reference count problems.  We mark the underlying object
>   ono-persistent, and account for the reference count that the VM system
>   maintainsfor the special device close.  This should fix the removable
>   device problem.
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.29      +3 -2      src/sys/miscfs/specfs/spec_vnops.c
>   1.59      +5 -2      src/sys/vm/vnode_pager.c
>
> ------------------------------

	I've thoroughly tested this code change, and from what I
can tell, it fixes all the problems I've found using a JAZ drive,
save one.  The one that it doesn't fix is if you mount a UFS
filesystem on the JAZ drive and allow it to sleep, then before
waking it up via a standard filesystem call you fsck the raw
device (ok, ok, so I did this by accident the first time... :-),
then try to use the mounted ufs, you cannot unmount it or use it
until you reboot.  The solution to that problem is to not try to
fsck it while it's mounted.  Other than that, the unsleep code
and the unmount/unlocking for ejection code works great.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead

mmead@Glock.COM