Date:      Sun, 05 Nov 2000 22:07:01 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rino Mardo <rmardo@altayer.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Help on upgrading to stable

Rino Mardo wrote:

> I want to use FreeBSD at my home pc as my mainstay OS but I'm having
> problems upgrading to STABLE.  My earlier postings to this list haven't
> received any replies yet so I'm again sending a request for assistance.

	It's likely your previous requests went unanswered simply because no
one is sure how to help you.

> My home pc config is:
>
> Gigabyte 6BXC with 128M ram, 8G hd, a Matrox G200 AGP vid card
>
> I have used fbsd 4.0 and 4.1 release versions and both of them would
> give me the following messages:
>
> ata0-master: TIMEOUT: device has disappeared!

	That's most likely a sign of buggy hardware. Doing a make world puts a
lot of strain on a system, yours may simply not be capable of it.

> Either I'm doing a "make build" or "cvsup stable-supfile".  I've already
> swapped the hd between the primary and secondary ide controllers and
> still get the message.  The only thing left is to find a hard disk to
> try out but hard disks are expensive in this part of the world so I was
> wondering if my analysis is correct that the hard disk is at fault
> before I commit and buy a new harddisk.

	I can sympathize with your situation. Unless you have an urgent need to
stay with -stable you might simply want to stick with doing binary
upgrades to the major releases. You might also try binary snapshots of
-stable that are available at
ftp://releng4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/ if you are looking
for specific functionality that's available only in a certain snapshot.

Good luck,

Doug
--
    Life is an essay test. Long form. Spelling counts.