Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:34:56 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cputype for Pentium II

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:55:37PM +0200, Toomas Aas wrote:
> Hello!
>=20
> I'm about to build world on my dual PII/233 machine. I was=20
> wondering which cputype (if any) should I use in /etc/make.conf.=20
> Should I use p2 or i686?

You should use p2 and the build infrastructure will choose the
appropriate flags to actually pass to the compiler.  Current versions
of gcc do not support pentium II specific optimizations, so CPUTYPE=3Dp2
has the same effect as i686 for general gcc work, but there are some
ports which have MMX asm optimizations which would not be activated if
you specified CPUTYPE=3Di686 (since not all i686 chips support MMX,
e.g. pentium pros).  Future versions of gcc may of course have
additional optimizations for the newer intel cpus.

Kris

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--