Date:      Mon, 06 Jul 2009 04:34:19 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error when complie kernel.

tang huu trong wrote:

> Dear all.
>
> i got a problem while complie my kernel to support PAE. below is my
> process.
>
> 1 - cp /usr/src/sys/i386/GENERIC /root/kernels/MYKERNEL
> 2 - cd /usr/src/sys/i386
> 3 - ln -s /root/kernels/MYKERNEL
> 4 - vi /usr/src/sys/i386/MYKERNEL
> 5 - add line "options      PAE"
> 6 - save configure file.
> 7 - cd /usr/src
> 8 - make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

[snip]

The above is incorrect procedure. It has been a long time since I converted
up to 7.x, so I am looking at the source for 7.2-Release. I would also like
to point out that if the processor in your server supports amd64 (Intel
calls this EMT64) it is much better to install and run the 64 bit version
than PAE. PAE is buggy, slow, inefficient, and many drivers do not work
properly. There is a list of buggy drivers in the PAE kernel config file.

First, cd to /usr/src and do make clean to remove whatever may have turned
up in /usr/obj when the previous attempt failed. Either that or cd to
/usr/obj and do rm -rf usr to completely remove any trace of the failed
attempt. Make sure there is no "/" in front of usr if you do this!

If you examine the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf subdirectory you would see a
collection of kernel configuration files. Notice there is one there named
"PAE". Since there is already one present why not simply utilize it?

So, cd to /usr/src and do the following:

make buildkernel KERNCONF=PAE and when that is finished:
make installkernel KERNCONF=PAE

Then reboot and you will have a PAE kernel. Before you reboot you should
read the procedure in the documentation on how to boot from kernel.old
should the new kernel fail to boot.

The list of steps above indicate that you did not read, or completely
understand, the documentation. I would suggest you continue to study the
chapter in the Handbook until you have a firm grasp of the material. Once
you do, you will be in a better position to customize and/or maintain your
machine. I would still advise to NOT use PAE unless you have no other better
choice, e.g., your CPU is only 32 bit.

-Mike