Date:      Sat, 22 May 2004 07:27:33 +1000
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disabling atime updates...

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 01:09:03PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:

> I'm plan to disable atime updates in some Web + MySQL servers (to get a
> bit more performance, even if insignificant).
>
> Is there any OS, Apache or MySQL feature that would be affected by
> setting noatime in fstab? ( I couldn't find any reference, even man 8
> mount says it's hardly ever used)

I've been using noatime for some months on /usr with no apparent ill
effects.  Running Apache 1.x, Named, Dovecot, Squid, Samba, Fetchmail &
Sendmail, among other things.

I don't use noatime on the other mounts.  I seem to vaguely recall it
causing some things to break.  It may have been something like tail -F
/var/log/messages not working the way it should, but don't quote me on
that.

Regards
Andrew