Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2012 07:21:40 -0500
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MFC 7840W under CUPS

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:21:59 +0100
Ouyang Xueyu articulated:

> Hello,
>
> I have Freebsd 8.2 and CUPS installed and try to print on my Brother
> MFC 7840W printer. The printer is accessible by a static IP address,
> is configured in CUPS but everytime I only get blank pages when I'm
> trying to print.
>
> Does anybody know a solution for this behaviour?

I have the same problem with a different Brother printer. I have used
every PPD file I could fine including the one from new Win7 machine.

You did not state what program(s) you are attempting to print from. If
given the option, choose the LPR option in the menu. It works for me.

I have supplied every piece of information I could find on this problem
to the CUPS people without getting any useful results. It seems, and
this is just a guess -- but a good one in my opinion -- that it is a
FreeBSD phenomenon. Brother does supply driver setups for Linux but
that is about it.

Good luck, I just plan gave up. The time and trouble involved in
getting it to work was simply not worth the effort involved. By the
way, what CUPS version?

--
Jerry ♔

A bird in the bush usually has a friend in there with him.