Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:11:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        rjk191@psu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many virtual ttys?

Re: high numbered vtys

> They still exist, but since there are no gettys running on them, you
> can't use them. Which terminals get which gettys is controlled in
> /etc/ttys. You can always add more, but it's of course not such a
> good idea to make more terminals than you have F-keys, cuz then you
> can't reach them :)

I believe you can.  It's not something that I have tried, but assuming the
vtys exist and can be created by /dev/MAKEDEV, and have gettys running,
the PrintScrn key should iterate through all available virtual consoles.

Really, though, if you need more than 10 or 12 ttys, including an X seat,
you should save yourself the trouble and check out "screen" in the ports:

  cd /usr/ports/misc/screen && make all install

Allows for a HORRENDOUS amount of consoles, split consoles, and more.  It
is truly a programmers tool :-)

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2