Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 23:03:36 +0100
From:      Simon Windsor <simon.windsor@btinternet.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New user - Many questions

Hi

On Sunday 26 May 2002  8:42 pm, you wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 11:31:09AM +0100, Simon Windsor wrote:
> > - Why is the base system so big ? I here that perl is being removed,
> > shouldn't sendmail,bind/named also be removed to packages ?
>
> The base system has everything needed for a full *working* system, and
> only weighs in about 200Mb. How big did you expect it go be?

A basic UNIX install of 200MB is indeed very good. I merely was asking should
not many of the basic utilities be installed as packages, like Linux, for
example do you want sendmail, exim or no mail server etc.

This could equally apply do other parts of the base system where many people
might want a choice of other options.

This might not be the FreeBSD way of doing things, and if so I am sorry for
raising the point.

Simon