Date:      13 Nov 1999 12:32:49 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up a CVS server

I'm a bit perlplexed about permissions and stuff.

I have a small project, involving 3 programmers, say: joe, jay, and
myself.

I've setup a cvs repository (CVSROOT is /usr/local/cvsroot, with a
symbolic link to it from /cvs).

Permissions for the repository are:
drwxrwxr-x  4 root  cvs   512 Nov 12 09:46 cvsroot/
drwxrwxr-x  2 root  cvs  1024 Nov 12 09:44 cvsroot/CVSROOT/

Inside the repository the sources are imported in a directory
csc/228/a3.
drwxrwxr-x  2 antipode  csc228   512 Nov 13 11:33 a3/

My questions:

1. Do I *have* to create shell accounts for joe and jay? I would
prefer to only give them access to cvs subtree csc/228/a3, and nothing
else.

2. For now, I created shell accounts for them. Their login group is
"csc228". But cvs complains that they have no write permissions inside
/cvs/CVSROOT. How dangerous is it to give them r/w permissions for
/cvs/CVSROOT? They are first-time users of CVS, and I'm afraid they
could wreck the entire repository by doing something stupid.

3. Is it possible to give them *only* access to one directory in tree
subtree "csc" (directory "csc/228/a3"), without letting them even read
other subtrees, or is it better to create a separate repository for
this project?

Joe, and jay are only members of group csc228. I am member of groups
"cvs" and "csc228". It's the membership in "cvs" that gives me r/w
permissions inside /cvs/CVSROOT.

How would I generally go about such thing?

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who