Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:43:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: another ufs panic..

    I will repeat:  please upgrade to the latest 2.2.x or upgrade
    to the latest -stable ( 3.x ), known bugs related to these sorts
    of error messages have been fixed since 2.2.8.

:                 1      6     0
:      blank   CD-ROM   ZIP  CD-RW (TE)
:        |        |      |     |
:2 +-----+--------+------+-----+ (50 PIN
:9 |
:4 |       10         3
:0 |    HDD: 9.1GB  HDD: 2GB (TE)
:U |       |          |
:W +-------+----------+ (68 PIN)
:
:46 minutes after booting up below it panic'd: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
:
:Darren

    Personally speaking, I never trust ZIP or CDROM drives on the same
    SCSI bus as my hard disks.  However, unless you are getting SCSI
    error messages before the panic, the SCSI system is probably not the
    cause of your problems.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>