Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:23:05 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Dimitri T" <midiostri@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ghosting a Win98/FBSD hard disk

Aha...! Good luck on this one. I've been looking for that solution too and
wouldn't it be nice to be able to just switch hard disks in BIOS and boot
from the second one if and when HD1 goes down? ...avoiding the much longer
"restore" methods.

From what I have found, the closest thing is RAID Mirroring, but you need
to have SCSIs and a RAID hardware adapter to do that as IDE RAID is not
supported in FBSD. My motherboards support IDE RAID, but again cannot be
used in FBSD.

Vinum does a parital job of mirroring from what I read about it. Alas, it
doesn't mirror the root, so another backup is required for that portion and
thus no immediate switch of HDs and reboot as in first paragraph above.

I'm still looking at rsync as another partical option. Let me know if you
find another option that does the "image" thing or mirrors.

At 10:02 AM 1.16.2002 +0000, Dimitri T wrote:
>hi,
>
>i have 8 PCs with identical hardware. They all have a hard disk of 20Gb.
>I've set up one of them as follows:
>  1 Win 98 primary partition (16 Gb)
>  1 Win 98 partition for storage purposes (1 Gb)
>  1 Freebsd partition (3 Gb)
>
>i thought that i'd spare a lot of time and trouble if i could ghost the hard
>disks. i have run Norton Ghost but it hasn't worked properly.
>When describing the original disk it marks the fbsd partition file system as
>'unknown' and after ghosting, when i try to boot the fbsd partition on the
>destination disk, i get a "no ufs"..
>
>my Q:
>is it possible to ghost such a hard disk with Norton Ghost?
>if not, is there some other ghost program that can do the job?
>
>any pointer/info would be appreciated,
>thanks a lot,
>dimitri
>
>PS > plz. CC any reply to me directly as i am currently off the list
>:)

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"