Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:45:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPU-type question

:What does the "cpu" directive in the kernel config actually do? In the
:context of
:a binary driver, is there a potential problem if the binary was compiled on
:one
:type of cpu and that cpu type was not specified in the target machine's
:config?
:(that is that the driver was compiled on a i586 and the target machine only
:specified i686).
:
:I suppose this has some relevance to loadable drivers as well.
:
:Dennis

    The cpu directive is used to compile in alternative cpu-specific code.
    It is also used to NOT compile in cpu-specific code.

    For example:

cpu             "I586_CPU"
cpu             "I686_CPU"

    In this case I'm telling the kernel to use Pentium and Pentium II
    specific features if those processors are detected.  But, more noteably,
    by *NOT* including "I486_cpu" I am telling the kernel to not bother to
    compile in 386 or 486-specific features.

    This means that the above kernel will *NOT* run on a 386 or 486, but
    it will run more efficiently ( though not by much ) on a P or PII
    because it doesn't bother to check for 486 specific stuff.  Or, at
    least, the kernel will be slightly smaller by not including the 386 or
    486 specific stuff.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>