Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:39:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sean Reilly <sreilly@seanreilly.com>
To:        Jeff Dalton <jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Swing with Java and Netscape

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Jeff Dalton wrote:

> I've been using a JDK 1.1.5 on my FreeBSD machine for a while now,
> and it's worked great.  But I'm being forced into Swing, and I've
> never used anything Swing on FreeBSD.  So ... I'd like to know
> where I can get an appropriate JDK, the associated Swing stuff
> (whatever that is), and preferably also a Netscape that will work
> with such things.

JDK 1.1.8 and 1.1.7 runs swing just fine.  You can get swing from Sun
here:  http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/

Make sure you get the 1.1.1 version which will run on a 1.1 JDK.

My Netscape 4.5 runs swing applets without any (visible) problem.  To test
if your netscape will run it, you can go here:
  http://www.aparima.com/quote/applet_demo.html

Thanks,
Sean