Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:35:03 +0100
From:      Jiri Novak <bati@nostromo.cz>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow Tomcat startup...

Hello list...
I'm having troubles with FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 on amd64, with Apache2
and Tomcat 5.0.30 (jdk1.5.0) installed. The problem I'm experiencing is
very strange - Tomcat startup times are very very long, about 3-4
minutes, with three virtual hosts. Each virtual host does stall on
startup for some time. At first I thought, that there is some DNS
misconfiguration, but it isn't, I don't even see any DNS traffic using
tcpdump. To ensure, that problem is not the JDK, I tried
linux-sun-jdk-1.4, with same results. What puzzles me most is that I
have i686 machine with almost the same config
(apache/tomcat/webapps/dns), on which startup of tomcat lasts about
10-12 seconds.
I'm not totally convinced, that the problem lies in architecture, so I'm
asking on this list - anybody seen this behavior? Is it really
architecture bound problem?
TIA!
--
     Jiri Novak