Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:47:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS: having domain1.com and domain1.net point to the same IP.

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Alan Clegg wrote:
> Unless the network is lying to me again, James Wyatt said:
> > Wow, reverse lookups only match some of the time?!?! I may be off-base
> > again, but I thought a lot of things wanted reverse host entries that
> > matched exactly for security verification. I read your last comment, but
> > want to know what folks think would really happen. - Jy@
>
> It used to be that lots of things depended on this, but, with the advent
> of the clueless internet, people have had to turn off this test.  I remember
> when ftp.uu.net required you to have matching forward and inverse DNS.
>
> Long gone are those days.
>
> Yes, _some_ things still require you to have working DNS, but the inability
> for providers to get simple things working _right_ has brought the network
> to a state of extreme apathy.

Most servers and protocols don't seem to have those annoying DNS lookup
timeouts any more (Why is telnet hanging ... oh. nuts!), but I know a
*lot* of SMTP gateways are more careful to avoid Spam relaying. (Ours are
a lot more careful than they were. Grrrr.)

> When the response by the ISP in the wrong is "well, you are one of very few
> people that my clients can't talk to, so you must be broken", and that is
> the line that they are feeding their clients, what are you to do?

"The bland leading the blind", eh? (^_^) Take care - Jy@

btw: Have we generated enough mail on this subject yet?