Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 1997 22:27:40 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org, Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com.au>, dyson@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pushdown of "giant lock"

In message <199707162025.OAA09649@Ilsa.StevesCafe.com>, Steve Passe writes:
>Hi,
>
>DESIGN PROPOSAL:
>
>The following documents a 1st draft proposal for achieving finer-grained
>locking.  Please comment, paying particular attention to the pseudo-code
>I propose for doing it.

As the guy who's done it before and in this case did it last time, let
me add some other input to this topic:

1.  Add a optional (possibly compile-option) circular buffer which will
    record the lock actions.

2.  Add a permanent version of the ugly serial-port stuff, under a compile-
    time option of course, to record the lock actions.

3.  Consider redesigning the lock implementation for the purpose, rather
    that try to modify the rather special lock we have now...

Just my .25 DKR.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.