Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 18:12:36 -0400
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        Robert Small <robert@superjake.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: network down after install

On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 15:31:06 Robert Small wrote:
> Fernan
>
> Try the command ifconfig ed0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the x's
> are
> your ip and netmask) and if that makes the network run, you must add it to
> your
> rc.conf:
> network_interfaces="xl0 lo0 tun0"
> ifconfig_xl0="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> or something like that.
>
> Let me know if that helps!
>
> Robert

Robert, thanks for your reply.

I also tried that, without success.
The error says "ifconfig: interface ed0 does not exist"

I also noticed that when booting from the FreeBSD CDROM I get to a visual
configuration editor ... there I can select from a number of network devices.
The ed device is there (NE2000) and I deleted all the others. After getting out
of the editor and continuing the boot process I could see the same output:

ed0: <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)> irq 11 at device 14.0 on pci0
device_probe_and_attach: ed0 attach returned 2

So it seems that even with the GENERIC kernel, the NIC does not get configured
right.

Is this a common installation problem? Should I expect GENERIC to cover
everything more or less standard, like a RealTek 8029?

If this is related to an IRQ problem/conflict ... how do i troubleshoot it? I
know I can change IRQs and ports in the visual configuration editor, but is
there any way I can probe the card to see where is expected to be found (IRQ and
port?)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Fernan

--