Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 07:47:03 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LINT is missing examples for sio1-3 ? GENERIC does so

On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 04:12:23AM +0000, John Kelly wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:03:48 +1100, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> wrote:
>
> >>But what about showing also different instance/flag combinations?  I
> >>don't see how it hurts to do that as separate entries if the
> >>alternative is to muddy a single entry to the point of confusion.
> >
> >OK, but the proposed change just copied lines from GENERIC to give
> >uninteresting differences in the port, irq and disable flag.
> >
> >Bruce
>
> Yeah, but some of us dim-witted users benefit from those examples
> which are so uninteresting to the intellectual elite.

hahaha ;-) Ok, that's another point ;-)

Ok, what about that ... When reading LINT as it is now, it's
a "real fine thing (tm)". It's a central place of information,
that tells you very quickly, what the kernel with it's driver
and options is able to do for you.

So, another point of view might be, reading manpages is fine
and I suggest it to every user ... but:

	- time is money (sometime more sometimes less precious ;-)
	- LINT already is a comprehend/central list of information
	- and i think, LINT is kind of user/admin friendly.

Since GENERIC contains examples for the serial interfaces,
shouldn't we sync it ... because not every FreeBSD newbee is
an expert in "RTFM" and such ?

--
Andreas Klemm