Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:15:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      John G Ineson <john@ineson.net>
To:        g-d-b@freegates.be
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP / chat script problems: PART IV: A NEW HOPE

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:03:32 GMT, "GDB" <g-d-b@freegates.be> wrote:

>No, doesn't work. The command ATE1 means "enable command echo". In ppp,
>after <term>, I can type in commands, but the commands aren't echoed. For
>example, when I type in AT<enter>, in reality, it goes like this:
>
>step        what I type    what appears on screen
>1.           A
>2.           T                    A
>3.           <enter>          AT
>4.           <enter>          OK

Sometimes a device wants to send information (in this case echoing
your commands and OKs) to the CPU. The obvious approach is to
repeatedly poll the device, but that could be problematic, say if you
wanted to use your CPU for anything else  8-)

Since most people do have other jobs in mind, computers use
interrupts - little "Oi!" messages that devices can send to the
CPU. You are observing a delay because the interrupt mechanism is
not working - consequentially, the CPU doesn't receive any waiting
bytes until it talks to the device to send the next char.

>sio3: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

Et voila - the CPU is listening on one IRQ and the modem is sending
stuff to another.

>sio3 at 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 9 on isa
>
>Is that ok?

No. Your modem is not on IRQ 9. Find out what it is on, boot -c and
adjust the sio3 IRQ setting accordingly.

HTH

John G Ineson - john@ineson.net
(The Real Kilduc)