Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 2014 19:27:20 +0000
From:      Matt Smith <freebsd@xtaz.co.uk>
To:        Stephen Fisher <sfisher@SDF.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why was ispell removed?

On Dec 01 13:58, Stephen Fisher wrote:
> I recently noticed that the ispell port has been removed in favor of the
> aspell-ispell port ("ispell compatibility script for aspell").  Does
> anyone know why it was removed?  All I see on Fresh Ports is that it
> was deprecated and finally removed in January of this year.
>
> (The ispell script for aspell doesn't fully replicate ispell
> functionality such as checking words on the command line as shown below)
>
> Real ispell:
> >ispell
> @(#) International Ispell Version 3.3.02 12 Jun 2005
> word: word
> ok
>

> word: ^D
>

> aspell script:
> >ispell
> Ispell compatibility script for Aspell.
> Usage: /usr/local/bin/ispell [options] -a|-l|-v[v]|-c|-e[1-4]|<file>

It seems that you can just use the -a switch on aspell:

$ aspell -a
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.6.1)
helo this is a tset
& helo 11 0: he lo, he-lo, hello, helot, help, halo, hell, held, helm,
hero, he'll
*
*
*
& tset 5 15: test, stet, Set, Tet, set

It seems to do exactly the same as hunspell like you have been pointed
to in the rest of this thread?

--
Matt