Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 18:50:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Sue Bauer-Lee <sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bulding new versions

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Sue Bauer-Lee wrote:

> > My favourite autoconf scripts are the ones that don't probe
> > deeply enough.  For any potential autoconf-script-writers out
[...]
> I like this idea. Wonder what would be required to make it happen.

Better documentation and a style guide from the GNU autoconf
people.

> even if there was a way to 'customize' what currently exists; i.e. modify
> options that some of the scripts use (fetch -p), how it handles the

export FETCH_CMD="fetch -p"

Which is documentated in ports(7).  :)

> inability to gain access to ftp sites that it tries to download files from
> and gets rejected, etc. Came across an interesting one today. I think it
> was a downloaded copy of fvwm95. Options in the 'make install' required
> GNU utility arguements that the FreeBSD versions didn't support  - such as
> 'cp -vp' and 'ln -svf' to name a couple. End result, rather than fight all

I'm not sure I understand.  If you're using the official port of
fvwm95, it should not be trying to run commands that FreeBSD
doesn't support.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk