Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:59:13 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Optional patching?

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I have an interesting situation.  I maintain the security/barnyard port.
> It's used for several things, one of which is sguil.  (I'm working on
> new ports for that as well.)  Barnyard includes a plugin for sguil,
> named op_sguil.plugin.
>
> The sguil developers have changed the way they gather data for the
> newest release, 0.6.x.  The new release requires that you patch barnyard
> to update the op_sguil.plugin.  However, people who are still running
> the older versions of sguil; 0.5.x cannot use the new, patched version
> of the op_sguil.plugin.
>
> My question is, is it possible to make a patch optional?

Yes, that information is in the porter's handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html

However, given the situation you described, I would suggest that you instead
add a new port for "barnyard plus squil support" as a slave to the barnyard
port, and include the patch there. Don't forget to add CONFLICTS to each as
appropriate.

hth,

Doug