Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:43:14 -0700
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   Handbook i386-ness

--==_Exmh_1266204352P

Hi folks--

It's been a long day of code hacking so I might not be real coherent.

I'm staring at the "Preparing for Installation" part of the "Installing
FreeBSD" chapter (i.e. the text before Randy Pratt's most excellent
illustrated installation guide).  There's a few i386-isms contained
within (some pathnames, boot-up instructions, MS-DOS User's Q&A).  Is
this a problem?  Some of them are addressed by the installation document
that is a part of RELNOTESng, which is why it's an architecture-specific
document.

Bruce.

PS.  As an aside, the installation document in RELNOTESng is a real
mess.  It has this "Dr. Frankenstein's monster" look to it (well, really
it's Dr. Mah's monster).  I'd love suggestions as to how to improve its
organization (including cutting out sections, if necessary).  Syncing to
the Handbook is not quite what I had in mind, because I don't want to
lose the non-i386-specific content.

--==_Exmh_1266204352P

--==_Exmh_1266204352P--