Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:40:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Tony <tony@cyberosity.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make World Time

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Tony wrote:

> Why does it take so long to do this when a fresh install with everything in
> need and cp my usrs home dires and everything would only take an hour.

Because you are recompiling the entire OS from scratch, not just copying
pre-built files over the top.

> My customers would freak out if I had them down for 6 hours just to
> update the os.  Is there a safe way to do this so you dont have your
> boxes down until they are updated?

The make buildworld stage can be done while multi-user - this does all the
rebuilding in a separate area. make installworld will actually install
everything - to be perfectly safe you should do this when single-user, but
probably you won't have any problems doing it multi-user as well.

make installworld takes about 2 minutes.

Kris