Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 9:53:56 -0500
From:      <mikej@rogers.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Semaphore scaling

I am running an application (Plesk) on a 4.9 system that is eating up all=
 the semaphores and as a result some processes can=92t run. I have contac=
ted the software company, and they asked me to increase the semaphore lim=
its in the kernel. However their suggested settings seemed very unproport=
ional to me.

So my question is, how should I adjust the values, while keeping things i=
n proportion? I wish to increase the default semaphore limit of 10 to 20.=
 Can I simply double the semaphore related values?

This is what the support guys suggested:

---

# number of semaphore identifiers in the system - default is 10
options     SEMMNI=3D256

# other things that have to be set to allow increased semaphores without =
destabilizing system

options     SEMMAP=3D768      # amount of entries in semaphore map
options     SEMMNU=3D768      # number of undo structures in the system
options     SEMOPM=3D2560     # max number of operations per semop call
options     SEMUME=3D256      # max number of undo entries per process

# number of semaphores in the system - default is 60
options     SEMMNS=3D393216

# max number of semaphores per id - default is 60
options     SEMMSL=3D1536

---

Thanks.

1