Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 23:42:36 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "peter" <peter@sweda.com.hk>, "free" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: y2k

-----Original Message-----
From: peter <peter@sweda.com.hk>

>Hello
>
>i had 486 and 586 intel PC.  it has fail test when testing y2k program.
>Both i install freebsd, is there Y2k problem?

Maybe with your hardware, but not with FreeBSD itself.

What part of your hardware has a Y2K problem?

Most newer PC's don't have any Y2K problems in the BIOS, but most *do* have
problems with the real-time clock (RTC).

Apparently, we're still using the same real-time clock circuit they had in
Samuel Morse's telegraph machine. (Well, OK, maybe a slight exaggeration,
but I don't think the clock circuit has changed much since they added a
battery so you didn't have to type in the date and time whenever you turned
on your PC.)

The problem I've seen with the RTC is that it operates fine in 2000 and
beyond, but that it can't handle the rollover at midnight on 1 Jan 2000. The
way to solve this particular problem is to turn off the computer before
midnight, then wait until after midnight to turn it back on. At this point
the BIOS will correctly update the RTC and it will continue just fine after
that.

Anyway, FreeBSD itself is Y2K ready. See http://www.freebsd.org/y2kbug.html
for more info.

--Dan