Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 14:46:10 -0000
From:      "Steven Fletcher (Shellnet IRC administrator)" <ircadmin@shellnet.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   EDQUOTA and selected editor.

I commonly use joe (Joe's Own Editor) as my default editor, and I have set
the EDITOR variable to be joe.

Therefore, most applications that call on a text editors will usually run
joe, or if the variable is not set, vi. I am trying to run EDQUOTA on my
system, with resonable success - however, vi is a problem for me - I have
limited experience with it and I would much prefer to use joe.

However, running edquota, with EDITOR=joe (proved by echo $EDITOR), it
always uses vi as the editor ..... after the man pages tell me that:

     The editor invoked is vi(1) unless the environment variable EDITOR
specifies otherwise.

But - even if joe is set as the editor, edquota always runs vi !

Is this a bug in the system or am I doing something wrong ?
I would appreciate any help here

Thanks

Steven Fletcher
Shellnet IRC and Quake server admin