Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:04:08 -0400
From:      "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   queues and firewalling

I'm trying to set up a firewall which has (at this moment) eight queues.
Four are input and four are output queues.  Each queue has an associated
pipe and bandwidth limitation.

This is, for the most part scripted so I can add a tcp or udp port and
rerun the script quickly to move things around.

The generic structure is this:
1.  read in defaults
2.  deny certain traffic (RFC 1918) at the external nic
3.  divert for NAT
4.  do some custom allow and deny stuff
5.  begin adding rules for queuing (include tcp, udp, and esp)
6.  define pipes for the queues
7.  define bandwidth for the pipes
8.  pass established
9.  allow tcp from my LAN to any keep state
10. allow tcp from my ext nic to LAN keep-state
11. allow tcp from any to LAN keep-state
12. allow tcp from any to ext nic keep-state
13. allow tcp from ext nic to any keep-state
14. do udp and icmp filtering...

For some odd reason (pebcak?) irc, www, and other services originating from
the LAN or the firewall/nat box don't ever get connected.

The firewall can be found here:
http://www.smnolde.com:7080/ipfw/rc.ipfw.error

Pipe and queue output can be found here (near the end):
http://www.smnolde.com:7080/ipfw/rc.ipfw-test.show

If anyone can offer assistance I'd be most grateful.
--
Scott Nolde
vGPG Key 0xD869AB48