Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:13:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Cary <scattered@babel.acu.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disklabel/newfs

OK, dmesg after reboot with MO media IN the drive! :)

#dmesg
[snip]
da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <RICOH RO-3012E 8.00> Removable Optical SCSI-2 device
da0: 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 15)
da0: 121MB (248826 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 121C)

With this information, will I be able to format the disk with ufs, or is
there further digging I need to do?  I tried to newfs the drive again,
thinking that the OS might have been fooled into thinking that it was
just a normal drive:

# newfs /dev/da0
newfs: /dev/da0: `0' partition is unavailable
# newfs /dev/da0a
newfs: /dev/da0a: Invalid argument
# newfs /dev/da0c
newfs: ioctl (GDINFO): Invalid argument
newfs: /dev/da0c: can't read disk label; disk type must be specified
#

Obviously, FreeBDS didn't fall for it, andI still have not reached my
goal! :(

My continued thanks for your assistance, Greg.

Cary Mathews

Abilene Christian University
ACM Education Comittee