Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:05:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr
Subject:   Re: is this a bug?

> hello,
> when I want to see the manual page of the command limit
> man limit
> my system gives me the manual page of csh!
> what is this?

 The limit "command" is actually a builtin function of the csh.

 From the man page that you just got:

   Builtin commands
     Builtin commands are executed within the shell.  If a builtin command oc-
     curs as any component of a pipeline except the last then it is executed
     in a subshell.

	   limit
	   limit resource
	   limit resource maximum-use
	   limit -h
	   limit -h resource
	   limit -h resource maximum-use
		   Limit the consumption by the current process and each pro-
		   cess it creates to not individually exceed maximum-use on
		   the specified resource. If no maximum-use is given, then
		   the current limit is printed; if no resource is given, then
		   all limitations are given.  If the -h flag is given, the
		   hard limits are used instead of the current limits.	The
		   hard limits impose a ceiling on the values of the current
		   limits.  Only the super-user may raise the hard limits, but
		   a user may lower or raise the current limits within the le-
		   gal range.

	- Dave Rivers -