Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:00:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mukarram Syed <muksyed@yahoo.com>
To:        Ryan Coleman <ryan.coleman@cwis.biz>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD single user?

Thanks for your response...
I tried to press Enter and then Cntl + D  and that didn't help either.  Sorry for the delay, it took a while to type all of this from the screen.

Here are my scenarios:

Scenario 1:
----------------

After I power cycle the array, it boots up and comes to this:
F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F3 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 1
Default: F5

I hit Enter and it changes to this:

F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F3 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 2
Default: F1

I hit Enter and space (I think), it drops me down to this:

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
   Default: 1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader
   boot:

At the boot: I type /kernel -s

It goes through the boot process and these are the lines before I hit my road block:
"Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:"

the lines are:
Mounting root from ufs:ad1s1a
Root Mount Failed:  6
Mounting root from ufs:ad1a
Root Mount Failed:  6
Manual root file system
gives me an example
then it drops me down to this prompt:
mount root>

I type:

mount root> ufs:/dev/ad0a
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0a
WARNING / was not properly dismounted
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

The line "Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:" seemed to be rather grayed out.  What I mean is that the color is a bit lighter than the other text above of it.
At this point I can't type anything.  It's pretty much frozen.

Scenario 2:
----------------

After I power cycle the array, it boots up and comes to this:
F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F3 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 1
Default: F5

I NOT touch anything on the keyboard and it changes to this:

F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F3 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 2
Default: F1

I let it boot up and hit space after a sec or so.
then I get it down to the ok prompt:

ok

I type

ok boot -s
It boots up and here are the lines before I hit my road block:

Waiting for DAG engine to start
RAIDFRAME: configure (RAID level 1): total number of sectors 483200 (235MB)
RAIDFRAME (RAID level 1): use 6 floating recon bufs with no head sep limit
Mounting root form ufs:/dev/raid0c
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

At this point I can't type anything.  It's pretty much frozen.

I don't know what to do at this point.

# mukarram
Mukarram Syed
muksyed@yahoo.com