Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:07:25 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Question - I/O Cable & Shuttle 539 motherboard

I had a similar problem. My old Dexxa 3-button had lost one of the
slide buttons on the bottom and was dragging. Trying to find a
3-button mouse replacement was much more complicated than I thought it
would be. There are 3-button mice but the only one I could find in the
local stores that would work as a 3-button mouse was a brandnew
Logitech First mouse, 3-button, ps/2/serial. I also couldn't swap the
"ps/2 to db9 serial connector" between the various mice.

You only have the two styles of 10-pin socket to db9/db25 connector's.
I have had one Asus style and everything else has been the Intel/DTK
style.

Kent

Patrick Gardella wrote:

> This may be off topic, but someone might be able to help.
>
> I've got FreeBSD 3.1 on a Shuttle HOT-539 motherboard (UMC chipset).  The
> kernel identifies the serial ports at 16550A's.  But I cannot get my mouse to
> talk to the port at all.  The mouse works fine on my 3.1 laptop.  I've got six
> of these motherboards, and I've tried several, so this isn't an isolated
> problem.
>
> So I thought it might be the cable from the motherboard to the DB9 or 25 plug.
> But I've tried nearly everyone I can find, to no avail.  Are there multiple
> types of these cables?  I know there are Asus and Intel ones, but are there
> others?
>
> The pin configurations I've tried:
>
> (Asus?)
> DB25 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 20 22
> FC10 3 2 7 8 5 5 1 4  9
>
> (Intel?)
> DB25 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 20 22
> FC10 5 3 4 6 2 9 1 7  8
>
> Could this also be a chipset problem?  Maybe FreeBSD is not identifying the
> port correctly?  Is there a way to test this?
>
> I've also contacted Shuttle, but gotten no response.  And no, I don't have a
> manual for the board.
> ---
> Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
> The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
> http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com